- May 21, 2003
Hi Robert, Yeah it took a bit of effort getting the tapered bearing in the steering head, needed mallet. I froze it good, eventually got it in. The gearbox shell is ok. I am going to clean it up and put all new bushes including the layshaft blind end bush. I have read they need line reaming after bush replacement, but that's outside my capability, so I am hoping it will spin ok in the new bushes, so I got to test that and see whats needed.Looking good!
The size of that mallet next to your tapered races is a cause for concern.
Re gearbox: I suppose you will come away with a spare shell after all this effort and expense.
The front end turned out very well. Brent is going to paint the chrome tank candy red (like Rocket 3 red) and it will have the super rocket decal. Everything else black or chrome like standard. I am now looking at the hubs. They need skimming. I have to find somewhere in the Denver area to get that done. I can get the wheels rebuilt here in Denver at Woody's. https://woodyswheelworks.com/ These folks know BSA wheels.
I get the chrome parts back next month, so I can assemble those parts. The front fender was already chromed when I bought the bike. The rear fender is getting re-chromed, expensive these days. There is only one place in Denver. I could not be bothered to ship it out of state, so drove it over there. Based upon what I saw their work looks good.
Steve at jobcycle has the motor and he is going to sort it out. I went a bit overboard on the motor crating. He told me it took him an hour to get it open and my back still hurts from that experience of crating the motor.
So all good. Moving forward with the obsession, cheers