Trouble at Mill

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
10,892
Country flag
I don't believe there will be any test rides, or showroom bikes. Any bikes that finally make it over here will be pre-sold.

Good news, although "late in coming" would be an understatement...
 
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
1,075
Price is just too far out of line vs what you get. I don't think it's very likely that younger riders - the real market - are going to quit buying sport bikes from other manufacturers for the opportunity to pay considerably more money for considerably less performance. If the intent is to make a limited number of machines for the relatively few folks around who remember/care about the original Commando, then they may do OK for a while.

Heck, if there was actually a dealer with them in stock and IF the price was in line with the current Triumph models, I'd consider looking at one.
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
2,040
Country flag
mike996 said:
If the intent is to make a limited number of machines for the relatively few folks around who remember/care about the original Commando, then they may do OK for a while.
I think that is the intent. And I think there are more than a few who can now afford that. But not me.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2010
Messages
566
Country flag
mike996 said:
Price is just too far out of line vs what you get. I don't think it's very likely that younger riders - the real market - are going to quit buying sport bikes from other manufacturers for the opportunity to pay considerably more money for considerably less performance. If the intent is to make a limited number of machines for the relatively few folks around who remember/care about the original Commando, then they may do OK for a while.

Heck, if there was actually a dealer with them in stock and IF the price was in line with the current Triumph models, I'd consider looking at one.
+1...would have to see and ride one first and the price would have to be lower...but I hope it works out and the bike sells well in the US. It will be interesting to see how the new to the US Honda CB1100 does ($10K), if it is a hit hopefully we will see more retro bikes in the near future
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
5,015
Country flag
For a hand assembled made in UK motorcycle the price isn't high at all, but does look a little pricey against the mass produced bikes , even those from the UK.
Looking at the used market, things get even farther askew. I'm looking at an 03 Triumph Daytona 955i in mint condition, about 8,000 miles. Price is $3900, similar to the cost of a Commando Basket case or two small bags of Vincent parts, or some custom accessories for your new 961.
For $3900 you get 149hp, 75 ft lb torque, 6 speeds, great weather protection, decent comfort(it has riser bars) terrific brakes, powerful lights, 450 watt charging system 0-60 in 3 seconds and a 10.4 second quarter mile plus that great triple sound. And that bike is considered old and slow against the new crop.

So I can see why Norton went their own route, the Sport bike market is just too fierce. Lets hope they are successful.

Glen
 

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
10,892
Country flag
I wonder how BMW's new "heritage boxer" will do against the Thruxton, Commando, and others in it's genre?
 

powerdoc

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
344
Country flag
travelerjerry said:
Here is what caused the delay. They hired this mechanic and Norton had to double the work force to fufill the orders. :lol:

Image link disabled - L.A.B. (complaint received)
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae96 ... oster3.png

So THATS what my daughter is doing now! When she said she was wrenching on cranks, I figured the worst!
 
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
1,075
"It will be interesting to see how the new to the US Honda CB1100 does ($10K), if it is a hit hopefully we will see more retro bikes in the near future"

It hurts to see an 1100CC honda 4 only putting out 88HP (since my 1993 1100f put out 108) but, as noted, it looks like a really nice retro bike at a good (for nowadays) price. I'll bet you don't even have to kick start it! :)
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
1,611
I'd like a red one! :D

Guess I'd better start saving up my lunch money. Maybe by the time I've accumulated the funds there will be some bikes available in this country.

Looks like it has a plastic gas tank though. Not a good idea with our ethanol-blended fuels...
 

lcrken

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
3,951
Country flag
debby said:
I'd like a red one! :D

Guess I'd better start saving up my lunch money. Maybe by the time I've accumulated the funds there will be some bikes available in this country.

Looks like it has a plastic gas tank though. Not a good idea with our ethanol-blended fuels...
When they bought the design from Norton America, the gas tank was roto-molded ABS with a cosmetic plastic cover. If they haven't changed that, it should be fine with any modern gas blend. ABS is a whole different story from glass fiber reinforced resin in terms of chemical compatibility. Of course, they could have changed the design to a different material, but it would still have had to meet European and American standards for fuel tanks, so I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Ken
 
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
1,075
The new ones just don't look as "cool" to me as the originals. That's not because I'm not a total luddite - I LOVE the new sportbikes like the BMW R1000S (almost bought one a few months ago) and the current Ducatis. I think that new CB1100 Honda does the retro look much better than the Norton. THe Commando is OK looking but it seems to me to be stuck in-between somewhere...is it a retro bike (nope, too "modern" looking) or a Sportbike (nope, WAAAAY down on power). I don't know...it's interesting, that's for sure.
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
lcrken said:
debby said:
I'd like a red one! :D

Guess I'd better start saving up my lunch money. Maybe by the time I've accumulated the funds there will be some bikes available in this country.

Looks like it has a plastic gas tank though. Not a good idea with our ethanol-blended fuels...
When they bought the design from Norton America, the gas tank was roto-molded ABS with a cosmetic plastic cover. If they haven't changed that, it should be fine with any modern gas blend. ABS is a whole different story from glass fiber reinforced resin in terms of chemical compatibility. Of course, they could have changed the design to a different material, but it would still have had to meet European and American standards for fuel tanks, so I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Ken
Or at least no more problems than Ducati, Ford and a few other manufacturers have been having with plastic tanks and ethanol fuel.
 

lcrken

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
3,951
Country flag
They do have their history of problems, don't they. On the other hand, there are large numbers of plastic fuel tanks in use in flex fuel (able to run on both gasoline and alcohol) motor vehicles with no issues. Some of those are HDPE, so we know that can be made to work. My memory says Kenny told me his were ABS, but a little quick online research shows that ABS degrades rapidly in fuel systems with E20 fuel, so I think memory has failed me again. At least we know that it's possible to make plastic fuel tanks that work properly from other plastics (HDPE, some Nylons, polyamides, etc.) If they are clever, maybe Norton has done it right. Then again, maybe not. Can we expect to see the aftermarket makers offering polished alloy tanks for the new Nortons?

Ken
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
1,611
Plastic tanks on Ducatis have been nothing but trouble. The Monsters and Sport Classics used a plastic or nylon material that could be painted and they had huge problems with expansion and warping. The Hypermotard and new Multistradas use unpainted tanks with decorative shrouds or covers, and the tanks were supposed to be made from a different type of plastic that would not be affected by ethanol. But they're having trouble too.

Dirt bike plastic tanks seem to hold up ok, but that's with ethanol-free fuel. I don't know what type of plastic they're made from or if it would hold up to ethanol. Maybe if I got a new Norton I'd just have to run avgas in it like I do with my dirt bikes. They sure run great on the stuff.
 

nortriubuell

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
654
Country flag
debby said:
I'd like a red one! :D

Guess I'd better start saving up my lunch money. Maybe by the time I've accumulated the funds there will be some bikes available in this country.

Looks like it has a plastic gas tank though. Not a good idea with our ethanol-blended fuels...
+1 with Debbie !!! Although the "plastic" gas tank could have issues as some have pointed out. Don't know what kind of "plastic" gas tank ... and oil tank ... my 1999 Buell cyclone has. Had NO problems with them though.

As far as the NEW Norton, I'd have to sell some of my bikes, but I STILL like it. Sure would like to test ride one ...
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
The tanks on my KTM dirtbikes have had no issues either and I run ethanol fuel. Nothing will stick to them for long- not even decals. Jim
 

illf8ed

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
2,747
Country flag
Good to hear Norton has passed EPA in the US. I was manning the Norton Club display at the International Motorcyle Show in San Mateo yesterday. Several people stopping by mentioned Norton company was not present this year as they were last. Not sure if that is any indication that they really have planned in 2013, but at best they missed an opportunity to make a public announcement. Last year there was a 961 on display.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2012
Messages
1,132
It might be a good sign. Maybe they're building bikes, instead of going to a trade show and talking about what they're going to do.
 

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
10,892
Country flag
South Bay was the visible rep for Norton in the US last year. I believe thier exclusive deal has expired and now there is another distributor who perhaps isn't as well-heeled to be able to have the same visibility. That's to say nothing of the availablility of the precious few non-running show bikes that were previously available to show...
 

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
10,892
Country flag
For what it's worth, my plastic VR880 tank hasn't given me any trouble at all.
 
Top