Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod

Fast Eddie

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
17,591
Country flag
gortnipper said:
Jim Comstock (JimC on the forum) makes and supplies these breathers. He also supplied me with the new cam (he is a WC dealer) and lifters. He is also doing my head.

Nigel - I will be in London for a week starting Monday. Mostly working in the city, staying in Shoreditch. Come and pick me up for a ride on Saturday, since that will be my free day! I will pay for the pub stops! :p

Bugger. I'm away myself then. Shame, you could have had a blast on the Blue Bomber and I could have taken you to some really expensive pubs to buy lunch! Maybe next time.

BTW... For Ed... It's Comnoz on the forum (real name Jim Comstock) who makes the breather and applies general Norton wizardry. He recently did a stunning job on my head too.
 

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
Fast Eddie said:
gortnipper said:
Jim Comstock (JimC on the forum) makes and supplies these breathers. He also supplied me with the new cam (he is a WC dealer) and lifters. He is also doing my head.

Nigel - I will be in London for a week starting Monday. Mostly working in the city, staying in Shoreditch. Come and pick me up for a ride on Saturday, since that will be my free day! I will pay for the pub stops! :p

Bugger. I'm away myself then. Shame, you could have had a blast on the Blue Bomber and I could have taken you to some really expensive pubs to buy lunch! Maybe next time.

BTW... For Ed... It's Comnoz on the forum (real name Jim Comstock) who makes the breather and applies general Norton wizardry. He recently did a stunning job on my head too.

No worries. I will PM you my hotel info, just leave the Blue Bomber there and most of it should be there when you return! :mrgreen:
 

Fast Eddie

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
17,591
Country flag
gortnipper said:
Fast Eddie said:
gortnipper said:
Jim Comstock (JimC on the forum) makes and supplies these breathers. He also supplied me with the new cam (he is a WC dealer) and lifters. He is also doing my head.

Nigel - I will be in London for a week starting Monday. Mostly working in the city, staying in Shoreditch. Come and pick me up for a ride on Saturday, since that will be my free day! I will pay for the pub stops! :p

Bugger. I'm away myself then. Shame, you could have had a blast on the Blue Bomber and I could have taken you to some really expensive pubs to buy lunch! Maybe next time.

BTW... For Ed... It's Comnoz on the forum (real name Jim Comstock) who makes the breather and applies general Norton wizardry. He recently did a stunning job on my head too.

No worries. I will PM you my hotel info, just leave the Blue Bomber there and most of it should be there when you return! :mrgreen:

That's a good idea... :? .... :shock:
 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
527
Country flag
Thanks both for the info on the breather.

Gort, with your Fullauto head (I want one desperately) what work did you have done by Jim?

Eddie, what type of work did you have Jim do to your head?

Thanks,
Ed
 

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
Jim is doing some porting, 1.5 over valves, conical springs, lightening rockers, drilling rocker spindles.
 

Fast Eddie

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
17,591
Country flag
APRRSV said:
Thanks both for the info on the breather.

Gort, with your Fullauto head (I want one desperately) what work did you have done by Jim?

Eddie, what type of work did you have Jim do to your head?

Thanks,
Ed

I have an RH10 head, to which Jim did the following:
Ported it to his spec (he has lots of development and learning in this area) and blended to the cNw inlet manifolds (supplied with the 35mm FCRs). Fitted 3mm oversized and re-angled inlet valves, 1.5mm oversized exhaust valves, and a general full re-condition. It came back MUCH better than new!
You can read / see more here:

engine-build-prep-t18461-120.html

It will be going on the dyno soon, so we can see before and after flow charts AND before and after dyno runs, so keep an eye on the ‘engine build prep’ thread if you’re interested.
 

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
https://www.accessnorton.com/threads/removing-dings-in-ss-fender.20822/

So I have been watching out for a used bossing mallets since new ones here are a bit pricey and found one recently for cheap.

I spent about half an hour or so on this so far today using a bag of grout as my sandbag. It looks a bit better, and I think with some more time and then a polish it might be passable

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod
 
Last edited:

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
Maney's high compression forged pistons, which he milled down for 9.5:1 to suit the 312a cam.

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod
Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod
 
Last edited:

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
Finally got my gearbox apart, and in general things were pretty good.

As expected the kick pawl needs replacing and I will replace all the bushes (as there seems to be a bit much play in most of them), bearings, orings, seals, etc.

The box looks pretty clean inside, and all the gears are nice.

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod


The layshaft bearing had significant play in it before I pulled it, with quite a bit of heat on the case - so at least it wasnt spinning in the shell. Cant tell what the bearing is yet as my old splitter seems to grown legs.

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod


However, I am wondering about my main shaft - does this need replacing? I can feel the three large grooves with my thumbnail.

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod


I cant seem to find the main shaft circlip in the parts book or on the Andover site, does someone have a p/n for me?


Also, I tried for about 15 minutes at the end of everything to get the sleeve gear circlip out, but it is a bitch. My smallest screwdriver didnt work, nor did circlip pliers nor an awl. I gave up for a drink instead. Any tips on that one?
 
Last edited:

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
12,397
Country flag
Old Britts has the circlip

Mainshaft doesn't look too bad to me (I'd re-use it)

Layshaft bearing looks like an acceptable one (metallic cage).
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
17,973
Country flag
gortnipper said:
The layshaft bearing had significant play in it before I pulled it, with quite a bit of heat on the case - so at least it wasnt spinning in the shell. Cant tell what the bearing is yet as my old splitter seems to grown legs.

Brass-cage, so very likely the exploding Portuguese FAG bearing! (no metal cage ball bearing is "acceptable" so replace it with the roller upgrade or non-metallic cage Hemmings 6203TB bearing)

The bearing should lever off easily enough.


gortnipper said:
I cant seem to find the main shaft circlip in the parts book or on the Andover site, does someone have a p/n for me?

If you mean the 06-0752 clutch location circlip, then it is on the clutch assembly drawing (item 53)

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-dr ... alternator




gortnipper said:
Also, I tried for about 15 minutes at the end of everything to get the sleeve gear circlip out, but it is a bitch. My smallest screwdriver didnt work, nor did circlip pliers nor an awl. I gave up for a drink instead. Any tips on that one?

Thin pointed knife blade.
 

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
12,397
Country flag
L.A.B. said:
Brass-cage, so very likely the exploding Portuguese FAG bearing! (no metal cage ball bearing is acceptable)
I thought the aramid cages were the unacceptable ones?
 

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
So, my clutch operating lever and roller have quite a bit of wear and I will replace those.

I took this pic of a bunch of parts that need replacing (sorry for the crummy pic- it is in a ziploc) and you can clearly see the roller is lobed.

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod


However, on the AN page the same part does not appear to have this .

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-de ... -op-roller

Muttster: A long, slow '74 resto-mod


What's the deal?
 
Last edited:

grandpaul

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
12,397
Country flag
I've never seen a hunk taken out of the roller like that. I would think it would be virtually ineffective with that cut-out.
 

gortnipper

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
5,422
Country flag
L.A.B. said:
Brass-cage, so very likely the exploding Portuguese FAG bearing! (no metal cage ball bearing is "acceptable" so replace it with the roller upgrade or non-metallic cage Hemmings 6203TB bearing)

The bearing should lever off easily enough.

OK - will try and lever it tonight. I have a good replacement roller bearing already,


L.A.B. said:
If you mean the 06-0752 clutch location circlip, then it is on the clutch assembly drawing (item 53)

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-dr ... alternator

Sweet, thanks!


L.A.B. said:
Thin pointed knife blade.

Yeah, tried my Stanley utility knife, but I will try one of my exacto knives tonight.
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
17,973
Country flag
gortnipper said:
So, my clutch operating lever and roller have quite a bit of wear and I will replace those.

I took this pic of a bunch of parts that need replacing (sorry for the crummy pic- it is in a ziploc) and you can clearly see the roller is lobed.


However, on the AN page the same part does not appear to have this .

What's the deal?

The roller is supposed to be circular. :D
 
Top