First day on my 961...

Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
I don't know if there is any basis in fact, but conkers in the window frames seems to work...

Ive got an ISO container here at the marina to store my bikes, in a locked compound, CCTV etc as part of the rental on my mooring. The boat is big, but not that big....
 

Attachments

Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
5,083
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying, however in North America we spell things funetikally. For us, conkers also means a snooty motorcycle show, or what Attilla and Napolean liked to do.

Glen
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
worntorn said:
Thanks for clarifying, however in North America we spell things funetikally For us, conkers also means a snooty motorcycle show, or what Attilla and Napolean liked to do.
worntorn said:
What does conkers mean in USA regarding a bike show? I get the conquer bit...

Here a conker is a large inedible nut, that children tie to a length of string and hit each other with....
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,491
Country flag
Hey fellas.

Sorry about the doom and gloom I've posted in the past about my Norton. It killed me to post that, but everyone here has a right to know and be updated on all turns of events with these machines. Good news, I guess, from the dealer. The famous Dan Van Epps (American distributor) stopped in to see what was going on (God, had I'd have known that, I'd of pulled a sick day to go down there and talk to him). Mark Pinfield, the Norton International Dealer Manager (such a long title, must be important) is personally taking over my case, and is going to send a new gearbox for installation. According to Mark, it has been upgraded very recently and will in his words "shift like silk". Bad news is, its going to take a while. Hey. You guys across the pond have been quite inspiring so I'm going to hang in there and let them do their thing. I may not get much of a ride in this year, but I want a working bike so I'll try to remain as patient and upbeat as I possibly can. So go on, keep making me a little jealous with your fabulous rides on your fabulous machines. It gives me something to look forward to. Damn nice machine, Dozer. Meanwhile, hit 95 mph on the old restored Bonnie. Exciting, but not exactly fun at my age. :shock:
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
Britfan,

just a quick one, Im pretty sure the gearbox in the current 961s isn't the same unit they started with 4 years ago. Mine is smooth as silk with none of the issues reported on earlier bikes, better than my new Triumph, so hopefully youll be in another world of difference when you get it, hang in there...

Took mine to London today to scope out the route for 'The Distinguished Gentlemans Ride' on Sunday, stopped at the Ace Café and generally rode round London at various building sites. On way in got pulled by a very pleasant policeman on the M11 who warned me that there was a spate of bike thefts in London involving a refrigerated van (thick sides to silence alarms), 4 blokes and 2 scaffold poles. Then proceeded to relieve me of £100 for my black number plate, lol. You win some, you lose some etc...

Now have 1200 miles on the clock, checked the oil and added a tiny bit, Im not sure whether that's correct, but Im sure it will blow it out the breather if its too much as it seems a bit finicky to get it right.

One thing I noticed, when its hot the tickover can become erratic, ranging from 1000 to 1500 rpm. However, Im not sure if that was me accidentally putting high octane unleaded in it, it seems to like it though and ticks over faster.

Pic at the Ace Café, the weird guy in shorts was sitting there singing to himself...
 

Attachments

Fast Eddie

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
12,350
Country flag
Dozer said:
Britfan,

just a quick one, Im pretty sure the gearbox in the current 961s isn't the same unit they started with 4 years ago. Mine is smooth as silk with none of the issues reported on earlier bikes, better than my new Triumph, so hopefully youll be in another world of difference when you get it, hang in there...

Took mine to London today to scope out the route for 'The Distinguished Gentlemans Ride' on Sunday, stopped at the Ace Café and generally rode round London at various building sites. On way in got pulled by a very pleasant policeman on the M11 who warned me that there was a spate of bike thefts in London involving a refrigerated van (thick sides to silence alarms), 4 blokes and 2 scaffold poles. Then proceeded to relieve me of £100 for my black number plate, lol. You win some, you lose some etc...

Now have 1200 miles on the clock, checked the oil and added a tiny bit, Im not sure whether that's correct, but Im sure it will blow it out the breather if its too much as it seems a bit finicky to get it right.

One thing I noticed, when its hot the tickover can become erratic, ranging from 1000 to 1500 rpm. However, Im not sure if that was me accidentally putting high octane unleaded in it, it seems to like it though and ticks over faster.

Pic at the Ace Café, the weird guy in shorts was sitting there singing to himself...
Nice looking bike Dozer, it sounds nice too, if a little loud, it did kinda put me off my singing when you pulled up outside the Ace.
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
49
After a very long wait, I picked mine up from Norton the day before I left the UK for three months which was hardly ideal but just how it worked out. I only managed to do about 40 miles on it but so far agree 100% with Dozer on his first impressions.

The mechanical noise was a bit (lot) of a surprise and it's a bit unfair to really assess this until it has a few thousand miles on the clock. I have another black and gold big twin that's now 36 years old and in comparison is nearly mechanically silent (although the open Contis might be drowning the mechanical noise a bit). That aside, It feels like it has the potential to be a lot of fun and I can't wait to be able to rev it. Unfortunately that's likely to be next riding season by the time I get back : (
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
Took the 961 to Central London on Sunday for the 'Distinguished Gentlemans Ride', along with some 700 like minded individuals on classic styled bikes. Fantastic day, some seriously outstanding machines in that car park in Borough Market, with riders all dressed in suits, ties, stick on beards and moustaches, plus several thousand spectators. If you search on you tube for DGR 2014 London, there are now many videos uploaded. If you get the chance to go on one, do it, as its superb.

I thought I might see another 961, but mine was the only one. Some outstanding classic iron there, with some superb classic Nortons. There was one it was so old it had carbide lights....

Split into groups of 100, the route took us over tower bridge, along Victoria and Chelsea embankments, over Chelsea bridge, then back along the South bank. 12 miles, took an hour and a half! Before setting off we had a 'safety briefing' at Borough Market. It was explained to us there were no police outriders, no junction closures and we were to 'Ride as you would in London normally...' Cue good mannered carnage, bikes up kerbs, cycle lanes, bus lanes, bus stops etc, all great fun done with a big smile on everyones face. Highlight of my day was when a motorcycle policeman was told to piss off and come back when he had a tie on... (Note, he did, it was that sort of day).

Every 50 yards or so was a broken down old bike, right along the embankment, usually with somebody frantically trying to kick it back to life... the day was seriously hot and there was Sunday traffic almost the whole way, hence bikes getting very hot. I had a sandy coloured Claymore wax jacket on, which, due to the clouds of blue smoke and unidentified black crap coming out of several hundred old motorcycle exhausts, was almost black by the time we got back!

The 961 performed perfectly all day and got lots of compliments, being photographed and videoed pretty much all day. Now has almost 1450 miles on it and finally goes in to Krazy Horse on Friday for its stage 2 remap. Still loving it to bits and the Indian summer we are currently having means its been used a lot more than it would have been in a normal British Autumn! :D :D :D :D

I can see it going away in the next fortnight, but until the weather breaks I will keep banging the miles on it....
 
Joined
Sep 17, 2014
Messages
97
I heard the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride went great here in Portland as well. I wasn't able to go but some friends said there was a big turnout and great afterparty.
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
Its a great day, and for a good cause too... Next year instead of 6 of us going from Cambridge, we are up to 18 already.

Had my second remap, stage 2, done on my Sport today. Made a big difference.... I thought it was running very well when they did the stage 1 remap after the long open pipes were fitted, with only a slight 'pinking' at high revs. Krazy Horse have been waiting for this remap to come through from Norton for the long pipes to sort out this pinking.

This latest remap, code 077, adds more fuel right through the range and especially at 5000 + revs, where it makes a real difference, I didn't realise what a difference there would be as I thought it was fine at the high end of the rev counter, but the latest remap definitely increases everything. It also changes the tickover to 1000 rpm, but theres none of the 'chocking' I used to get at tick over. Its not been started cold yet obviously, but Ill update when I do. It may be a while though, as our indian summer is apparently about to come to an abrupt end tomorrow....!

If you have a 961 with the long open pipes I recommend you contact your dealer about the latest remap, hot off the Norton dyno, no 77. Its well worth it and it was free (for me at least).

Also, on the way over to KH this morning, apart from the usual perfect strangers that talk to me about the 961, I overtook a guy in a van near the dealership who liked the bike, and especially the noise, so much he chased me to Krazy horse and was in the process of buying one when I left, I ll let you know how much commission I get....
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,491
Country flag
American dealers, or at least our New York dealer, do not have any software for alternate exhaust systems, so unfortunately, I or we do not have anything to compare it to. Glad it worked out for you.
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
Britfan, I must admit, I don't understand that, are your bikes emissions tested? In UK they aren't.

The remap, Its an email attachment ffs, which is then plugged into a laptop with the Norton software on it, which is then plugged into the 961 data port in the seat hump.

Ignition on, select which download number from the list, hit 'install' and its done in 20 seconds. It took longer to get the seat off and connect the cables than it did for the remap... There must be a reason why your dealer doesn't have this software, is that the same for all US dealers? The 961 must be pretty unique in that you know that coming out of the factory it wont run right and you will HAVE to spend out on a new exhaust and a fuelling remap....

I think the free flowing exhausts, both types, wont run properly without the remap, as they are too lean.

I must admit, I really like my dealer, they are very switched on about all their Marques, not just Norton. They all ride bikes, even the girls in the café.
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
Dozer said:
Britfan, I must admit, I don't understand that, are your bikes emissions tested? In UK they aren't.

The remap, Its an email attachment ffs, which is then plugged into a laptop with the Norton software on it, which is then plugged into the 961 data port in the seat hump.

Ignition on, select which download number from the list, hit 'install' and its done in 20 seconds. It took longer to get the seat off and connect the cables than it did for the remap... There must be a reason why your dealer doesn't have this software, is that the same for all US dealers? The 961 must be pretty unique in that you know that coming out of the factory it wont run right and you will HAVE to spend out on a new exhaust and a fuelling remap....

I think the free flowing exhausts, both types, wont run properly without the remap, as they are too lean.

I must admit, I really like my dealer, they are very switched on about all their Marques, not just Norton. They all ride bikes, even the girls in the café.

The US dealers do not have this software, and worst, seem to know nothing about it.
I have an issue with the EFI mapping on my 961. I have a set of free flowing X-pipes and Dominator silencers from Southbay Norton. The bike does not like to idle until warmed up with a bit of throttle. Also the engine stumbles a bit in the transition from 2800-3400 RPM. Nothing serious but, something that a remap would resolve.

I will be annoying my dealer again this weekend to encourage him to contact Norton for the software.
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,491
Country flag
BritTwit

You do know by now that Gold Coast is under new management? They sold the business. I'm wondering now, since they shipped out 2 bikes to Kentucky, that they may want to get away from Norton OR its simply a case of the dealership in Kentucky wanting to flip for profit. I hope its the latter. I am, by the way, having fun with the T140D, but its a minibike compared to the Norton. Although I ride with some good guys, the ride gets a little boring for them while slowing down for an under powered machine. Can't wait to see that Indian Scout, although a different style bike altogether. Variety is the spice of life.
 
Joined
Sep 17, 2014
Messages
97
The US dealers do not have this software, and worst, seem to know nothing about it.
I have an issue with the EFI mapping on my 961. I have a set of free flowing X-pipes and Dominator silencers from Southbay Norton. The bike does not like to idle until warmed up with a bit of throttle. Also the engine stumbles a bit in the transition from 2800-3400 RPM. Nothing serious but, something that a remap would resolve.

I will be annoying my dealer again this weekend to encourage him to contact Norton for the software.
My dealer just said they have not been told anything about remap software for the Norton either. They are going to ask Norton about it before I bring it in for the first service this weekend.
 
Joined
May 30, 2014
Messages
167
Here in Europe the Norton remap software is possibly the most important thing, after installing the free flowing exhausts on a 961. Ive now had 2 remaps, the first at 500 miles when my 'longs' were installed. The effect was instantaneous, more power, crisper response, much better tickover and cold running, sounds better too.

Then at 1200 miles last week a second remap. As the bike is now officially run in, I was finding a bit of 'pinking' at 5-7000 revs, where I couldn't go before running in was complete. This only happened in top gear if I opened the throttle hard at 5000rpm. Im not sure if its called that in USA, but its when the top of the engine jangles like theres a coin sitting on it. Its a symptom of not enough fuel and the engine going lean. The latest remap adds a LOT of fuel I think, the pinking has gone, the bike feels different, more powerful, pull better from lower revs, theres a noticeably louder growl from the airbox now, the tickover is different too. However, fuel economy has gone from 50mpg to 42mpg, which Im not fussed about as that's about where id expect a 960cc bike to be, especially the way I ride it. 50+ mpg sounded too good to be true to me!

It has made a big difference, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the way it went before, but after the latest remap, no 077, its way way better.

I don't understand why the USA dealers don't know about this software? Its standard over here in all dealers and they have different downloads for different set ups. Im just wondering is USA fuel different to EU fuel? We have 95 octane standard unleaded and 98 octane super unleaded. The Norton fuel injection system is pretty simple from what a bike tuner told me, do USA spec bikes actually need the fuelling adjusted? In Europe they are pretty rabid about emissions. Bikes aren't emissions tested like cars here so the can be remapped for power, is USA the same?
 

Top