Racing Update

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
BritTwit said:
G81 Can Cycle said:
pic from Willow Springs
John,

Will you be at New Jersey Motorsport Park on July 8-10?

Yes, unless something catastrophic happens at Gingerman or Road America in June. But our plans have us at the Jersey event. Hope to see you there

John
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
Raphi said:
richard-7 said:
G81 Can Cycle said:
Update on Countershaft Sprockets

Dave and Richard sent me a sprocket off a 2013 model that they acquired. We scanned and reversed engineered the sprocket from this model. We made inspection go / no go gauges for the internal spline based on the scan and inspection of the spline. When we went to install the new sprockets for testing, they would not fit on the 2015 model. The under pin measurements of the spline were different by about .010. We are not sure what Norton changed as to fit of this spline.

Dave is at the Norton factory this last week, and will attempt to find out what the change is, and when it happened.

So anyway we are in process of making a new set of sprockets. In the future, we will have sprockets for both splines we have found on the bikes, and hopefully a time (or VIN) when Norton changed the spline configuration

More info to come but we have learned that Norton now has full control of the trans and sprockets whereas they did not in the past. So 2013 and prior models may (or may not) have an issue with replacing sprockets. Time will tell I guess as John has found a 2013 sprocket does not fit a 2015. We still need to get to the bottom of this >> and we will :mrgreen:

Perhaps I will make a manual to show how to measure for this to make sure (or better your chances) of getting the correct sprocket for you bike.

Don't worry, we'll figure it out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Actually, we should have a separate topic for the sprocket...
I just got a new front sprocket fixed to my 2012 CR 961, thus it is possible to get sprockets for pre-2013 bikes.
Raphi, Switzerland
Raphi

I agree, the sprocket issue should have a dedicated thread. This will be the last time I address the sprockets in this thread. I will start a new thread when we work out the proper spline data.

This being said, we are annealing and recutting 5 of the 15 sprockets already made. I will keep the other 10 as 2013 and earlier applications. Raphi, please send me your mailing address via PM, and I will send you a set of sprockets (one tooth and one tooth down). There will be no charge for the sprockets, I only ask you try them on your 2012 and give me feedback as to fit and function

John
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
Speaking for my dad here>

Perhaps the the replacement sprockets Norton are shipping now work because the 2015 Sprockets are approx. .010" larger and no one is questioning the extra play assuming if it goes on it is good. Maybe not, just throwing the idea out there.
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
Gingerman update

Finished 11th on Saturday and 9th on Sunday. Fast guys showed up from Midwest, and some guys Gingerman was home track. Also pretty sure some guys in the class are cheating on motor work. Could stay with them in the corners, but they ran away on the straight aways. The class has limits to modifications, and everyone is suppose to be running about 70 to 80 HP (some are not I believe LOL)

Also ran the 1 tooth down sprocket, as the track was shorter, with no long straight away. The sprocket did give me great starts from the grid.
 

Attachments

Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
Congrats John. Sounds super exciting. Living a lot of peoples dreams!!! Including mine. :mrgreen:
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,353
Country flag
John,

I wouldn't be surprised if others are cheating.
Back in the day when I raced in AAMRR and WERA series, the sayings were:
It's only cheating if you get caught.
If you're not cheating, you're not winning.

Are you using the laced Aluminum wheels or the SE carbon fiber wheels?
I know the carbon wheels are significantly lighter.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
not sure if its cheating, but you can elongate the pickup sensor mounting holes and advance your timing a little.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
PPS -- My dads new aluminum tank is a lot lighter than the stock one if you want to shed pounds..
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,168
Country flag
G81 Can Cycle said:
Gingerman update

Finished 11th on Saturday and 9th on Sunday. Fast guys showed up from Midwest, and some guys Gingerman was home track. Also pretty sure some guys in the class are cheating on motor work. Could stay with them in the corners, but they ran away on the straight aways. The class has limits to modifications, and everyone is suppose to be running about 70 to 80 HP (some are not I believe LOL)

Also ran the 1 tooth down sprocket, as the track was shorter, with no long straight away. The sprocket did give me great starts from the grid.
Hi John , What kind of bikes are you racing against ? Is it Thruxtons or Guzzis or Ducatis ? Thannks Tony
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,353
Country flag
richard-7 said:
not sure if its cheating, but you can elongate the pickup sensor mounting holes and advance your timing a little.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Richard,

did you ever do a weight comparison between the stock 961 front an rear laced wheels and their BST carbon fiber alternatives?
It would be interesting to know the difference in weight.
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,168
Country flag
Hello , I had a wonderful time at Road America and was able to spend a couple hours Saturday and Sunday with Nearly Normal Norton Team . This is the team G81 Can Cycle (John Snead ) is part of. I have some pictures and some video which I will upload soon. I got to meet all the members of the team and the people that work on the machines. A great group of people , and as usual the 961 race bike continues to be developed . I am already looking forward to next year , Good luck !
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
TonyA said:
Hello , I had a wonderful time at Road America and was able to spend a couple hours Saturday and Sunday with Nearly Normal Norton Team . This is the team G81 Can Cycle (John Snead ) is part of. I have some pictures and some video which I will upload soon. I got to meet all the members of the team and the people that work on the machines. A great group of people , and as usual the 961 race bike continues to be developed . I am already looking forward to next year , Good luck !
Tony

It was nice to see you at Road America. Even nicer was seeing 2 961's ridden in by spectators. (Your red Sport, and black SF from Milwaukee)

John
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,168
Country flag




[/url]


Hello , It's hard to read but John is in race 9 on the sheet . This is SOT3 (Sound of Thunder 3) .. Please notice that the foot pegs and and levers are being ground to nubs.
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,353
Country flag
TonyA said:



Please notice that the foot pegs and and levers are being ground to nubs.
Are they are covered under warranty? :lol:

Who needs footpegs anyway.
Give 'em hell John!
 

cehenard

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
121
Country flag
Great job John. Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm not on the track but I often find my left toe dragging when I'm not on the balls of my feet on the shifter side, and both pegs too close in curves just on the roads. If god didn't want us to drag he wouldn't have made the pegs fold up, but they're awfully wide. Who's going to come up with some classy aftermarket rearsets? Anyone else interested?
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,353
Country flag
Excellent idea.
And the pegs should be spring loaded to return to down position.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
BritTwit said:
richard-7 said:
not sure if its cheating, but you can elongate the pickup sensor mounting holes and advance your timing a little.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Richard,

did you ever do a weight comparison between the stock 961 front an rear laced wheels and their BST carbon fiber alternatives?
It would be interesting to know the difference in weight.

I will weigh my bike but my dad weighed his SF and its:
2013 SF FULL OF GAS AND OIL = 504 LBS

I`ll weigh mine this weekend.
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,353
Country flag
About right I think for the laced wheels.
The BST wheels should be good for a 15-20lb weight reduction.
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,480
Country flag
richard-7 said:
BritTwit said:
richard-7 said:
not sure if its cheating, but you can elongate the pickup sensor mounting holes and advance your timing a little.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Richard,

did you ever do a weight comparison between the stock 961 front an rear laced wheels and their BST carbon fiber alternatives?
It would be interesting to know the difference in weight.

I will weigh my bike but my dad weighed his SF and its:
2013 SF FULL OF GAS AND OIL = 504 LBS

I`ll weigh mine this weekend.

Roughly 35 lbs. of fluids. So much for the claimed 415 lbs. dry weight.
 
Top