Norton Canada looks out for all!!!

Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
This proves that Norton UK listens to all of us. And thank you to Norton Canada for sharing this behind the scene photo of the meeting which benefits all the 961 owners.

https://www.facebook.com/nortoncanada/p ... =1&theater



As Norton Canada maintains a close relationship with new Norton owners, valuable information from owners, riders and mechanics is provided back to the Norton factory. During this visit, Norton Canada President - Peter Howes, met with members of the Norton engineering team to discuss existing issues as well new innovations, enhancements and issue resolution.

The process of seeking feedback directly from owners and riders and being able to provide that directly back to the engineering team, is one of the great strengths of Norton, and it always gives the Norton Canada team a great pleasure to play such a critical role in this process.

Norton Canada working with the members of the Norton factory engineering team
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
It has been my impression that Norton UK does care about their product. It has also been my impression that the management team that takes care of the US market is doing a terrible job. Most of the US dealers I have spoken to complain about lack of support.

If I were in charge of Norton, I would be looking for a new senior manager for the US market. The US market could be one of the biggest for Norton, and to have the kind of problems we have seen from "reputable" US posters is inexcusable.

As you guys know from my previous posts, I have started getting parts from Krazy Horse. When I get a shrug of the shoulders from US dealers, Krazy Horse is able to fill my orders quickly. This "seems" to show that Norton UK can support the bikes, it is just not being done in the US market.

I might be wrong, but the big difference between the Canadian and US market support seems to come from the Norton manager over their respective areas. I certainly would be looking into it, and have the President of Norton US on the carpet to develop a plan for better support
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2013
Messages
798
Country flag
Richard, That is good to know!

John, You pretty much summed up my feelings exactly so I will only say that I agree with you 100%.

The US market is critical to Norton's success and the current importer just is not getting it done, feedback has been pretty much 100% negative from both dealers and owners!
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,491
Country flag
Van Epps could give a damn. While I was waiting 4 months for a gearbox, he called my house ONCE after an email to him, left a message and no return #. From that point on, the International Dealer Manager in Donnington, Mark Pinfield, handled my case. It still took a while due to bureaucratic BS, but he got the job done. I still have some issues to be worked out, but I refuse to give the bike up for another season. When the weather turns, I'll bring it in. I don't want to get into another "rant" mode, because, frankly, even with the issues, the bike is running great and I'm having a blast. Hopefully in time, things will improve. The market in the US is comparatively brand new. Norton deserves a little patience on our part.
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
BPHORSEGUY said:
Richard, That is good to know!

John, You pretty much summed up my feelings exactly so I will only say that I agree with you 100%.

The US market is critical to Norton's success and the current importer just is not getting it done, feedback has been pretty much 100% negative from both dealers and owners!
I would love to see a Southeast Dealer, maybe in Daytona (it is bike central for the Southeast) But I doubt any reputable dealer would consider a Norton franchise after the results other dealers have had in the US. I have heard rumors that the Indiana dealer has dropped the Norton line because of lack of support (anybody know this for a fact?)

If I was not so busy with my company, I would send a resume to Mr. Garner to fill the position of Norton US president. I certainly could not do any worse of a job than has already been done. I mean we are talking about 7 dealers, and maybe 50 to 60 bikes sold (guesses on my part), does not seem to be that big of a job to support that current market.

Over beers at the Norton rally, Richard was explaining some of the actions of the Norton Canada President, and he seems very pro-active on solutions to problems

Come on Mr Garner, light a fire under VanEpps ass, or replace him with somebody competent
 

cehenard

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
123
Country flag
G81, I understand that you bought your red 961 from the Indianapolis dealer (correct me if I'm wrong). After waiting for a couple of years, I bought the first one that Falcone Power-sports in Indianapolis received in 2014. I bought the black 961 SF and the red one was sitting there. After owning the bike for a short time I tried to order some goodies and get more information about the bike from the dealership. They were having no luck helping me so finally I asked them if they minded me trying to go through the factory (I wanted to support the dealership) and they said for me to see if I could have better luck. Shortly after that the dealership told me, and I have verified, that they discontinued carrying Norton due to lack of support and fear of endangering their reputation with customers. I now get support from the dealer in Chicago. Motor Cycle Center is the dealer and they've been very helpful. In the past I've contacted Dan Van Epps, Mark Pinfield, and at the factory, Karen Fearon to get orders placed and eventually filled. I'm in the U.S., love the bike, and I'm far more patient than most people. I too own and run a business and often entertain thoughts as to whether or not I could do better than I've seen from Norton in the U.S..
 

roofus

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
113
Country flag
richard-7 said:
This proves that Norton UK listens to all of us. And thank you to Norton Canada for sharing this behind the scene photo of the meeting which benefits all the 961 owners.

https://www.facebook.com/nortoncanada/p ... =1&theater



As Norton Canada maintains a close relationship with new Norton owners, valuable information from owners, riders and mechanics is provided back to the Norton factory. During this visit, Norton Canada President - Peter Howes, met with members of the Norton engineering team to discuss existing issues as well new innovations, enhancements and issue resolution.

The process of seeking feedback directly from owners and riders and being able to provide that directly back to the engineering team, is one of the great strengths of Norton, and it always gives the Norton Canada team a great pleasure to play such a critical role in this process.

Norton Canada working with the members of the Norton factory engineering team
Thanks for the info Richard! I could not agree more!

I have dealt with Peter Howes personally and Norton Canada on a number of occasions and it has always been a pleasure. Peter has always bent over backwards to make sure the customer is happy!
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
Well, since Norton let the cat out of the bag a few weeks ago about new models under development, I suppose it behooves them to sharpen up their image a bit. A poor reputation for customer support could make it quite difficult for them to market new products. Norton is probably suffering the problems that most small startups suffer. Big dreams, on a limited budget. They just bit off more than they could chew. Hopefully, now with better funding, as they grow, and staff up, these issues will abate. Garner has proven, I think, that the new Norton Company is not a lark. He is serious about succeeding.

The issue with Van Epps is confusing to me because he did a great job when he was with Ducati. Now with Norton, it seems like he’s retired and working part time. More often than not, it’s quicker for the dealers to get results if they communicate directly with Mark, or Matt in the UK. That has to change.
I hope to see a similar photo with Van Epps and the Norton Engineering team.
 

ntst8

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,217
Country flag
My memory has it's moments but I thought i had read, back when distribution was finally starting to happen, that Norton America etc were owned by/set up by Norton UK rather than distribution being through a third party?
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2013
Messages
798
Country flag
ntst8 said:
My memory has it's moments but I thought i had read, back when distribution was finally starting to happen, that Norton America etc were owned by/set up by Norton UK rather than distribution being through a third party?
Dan Van Epps definitely runs Norton USA. Whether he owns it or not I do not know!
 

roofus

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
113
Country flag
You have to read the book!!!!!

And wear the bracelet!!!!!

You will feel better . . . . trust me!!!!!! :D
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
Complaints (at least from customers) are part of my quality control program. Unless I hear complaints, I do not know what to fix.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do not want a complaint free world LOL
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
2,491
Country flag
Excellent point, G81. I hate putting out there the problems I've had, but who else gives a damn but another 961 owner. Gotta vent my frustrations somewhere. And then, when fixed, I'm a happy little clam again.
 

Top