Question for Norton Factory UK

Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
Hello Simon , Would Norton consider replacing the brake pedal on the 961 with one that actually resembles a brake pedal and not look like a shifter ? It looks like this piece is held on with a bolt. Can this be replaced with a flat pedal ? I think others would opt for this as well if they had a choice. I have recently ordered the new oil dip stick which Norton has developed and am looking forward to its improvements and sharing this information with the other 961 owners . Thanks again. TonyA
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2015
Messages
552
Country flag
Yes, me too!
I sent him an up to date unanswered PM one week ago, because I did not hear anything from the contact (Stephen Green) Simon gave to me for my questions about patch lead against electric gremlins (flickering of fuel light / neutral warning light) and possible gearbox updates since 2012, whilst others apparently got in contact with Stephen at the same time...
Raphi, Switzerland
 

contours

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
882
Country flag
TonyA said:
I have recently ordered the new oil dip stick which Norton has developed
Where were you able to find that? Not on the website, was it?
 
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
131
Sorry guys,

Had a couple of days holiday (first since Jan !) , and to be honest even when I am here there is only so much time in he day so please bear with me.

TonyA said:
Hello Simon , Would Norton consider replacing the brake pedal on the 961 with one that actually resembles a brake pedal and not look like a shifter ? It looks like this piece is held on with a bolt. Can this be replaced with a flat pedal ? I think others would opt for this as well if they had a choice. I have recently ordered the new oil dip stick which Norton has developed and am looking forward to its improvements and sharing this information with the other 961 owners . Thanks again. TonyA

It short, no. The part looks like the shifter because they are the same part.
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
contours said:
TonyA said:
I have recently ordered the new oil dip stick which Norton has developed
Where were you able to find that? Not on the website, was it?

NO , Its not on the website . If you want to wait a few more days , I will post pictures showing the differences between new and old. Its supposed to be longer with adjusted marks on it. I read about this on the England NOC forum. But it is available now , so if you can wait I will show you the differences. Maybe your new bike will already have it installed !
 

contours

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
882
Country flag
TonyA said:
Its supposed to be longer with adjusted marks on it. I read about this on the England NOC forum. But it is available now , so if you can wait I will show you the differences. Maybe your new bike will already have it installed !
Okay, that would be great. Thanks!
 
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
58
Country flag
Personally, I like both the shifter and the brake levers and "petals" (rubber sleeved bolts), as well as the foot pegs on my 961 SE. They look racy and do the job, even with my size 12 riding boots. I occasionally kick up a foot peg accidently, but it's a minor thing that a bolt could fix if I cared enough to take it on the mod. Just a personal opinion, obviously not agreed to by all others, but that is what design subjectivity is all about.
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
contours said:
TonyA said:
Its supposed to be longer with adjusted marks on it. I read about this on the England NOC forum. But it is available now , so if you can wait I will show you the differences. Maybe your new bike will already have it installed !
Okay, that would be great. Thanks!
The oil dip stick I received is the same as the original. The information I read may not be true from the England NOC forum. So , at this time - nothing to see here.
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2015
Messages
552
Country flag
I saw one recently on a friend's 961. May be you already had the new one? What year is your bike with the original dipstick then?
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2015
Messages
53
Very - IMPORTANT - point of information...

It is not "England NOC", it is 'GREAT BRITAIN NOC'.

This - BRITISH - club comprises England, Scotland, Wales and NI... ie, the United Kingdom (or, minus NI, Great Britain)
It is NOT purely an English club.
 

Fast Eddie

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
12,578
Country flag
BionicDan said:
Very - IMPORTANT - point of information...

It is not "England NOC", it is 'GREAT BRITAIN NOC'.

This - BRITISH - club comprises England, Scotland, Wales and NI... ie, the United Kingdom (or, minus NI, Great Britain)
It is NOT purely an English club.
Don't hold back Dan, say what you mean !!
 

roofus

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
113
Country flag
BionicDan said:
Very - IMPORTANT - point of information...

It is not "England NOC", it is 'GREAT BRITAIN NOC'.

This - BRITISH - club comprises England, Scotland, Wales and NI... ie, the United Kingdom (or, minus NI, Great Britain)
It is NOT purely an English club.
Whatever! :?
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
Raphi said:
I saw one recently on a friend's 961. May be you already had the new one? What year is your bike with the original dipstick then?
Delivered to Dealer Dec. 2014
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
BionicDan said:
Very - IMPORTANT - point of information...

It is not "England NOC", it is 'GREAT BRITAIN NOC'.

This - BRITISH - club comprises England, Scotland, Wales and NI... ie, the United Kingdom (or, minus NI, Great Britain)
It is NOT purely an English club.

OK , Great Britain NOC .
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2015
Messages
552
Country flag
TonyA said:
Raphi said:
I saw one recently on a friend's 961. May be you already had the new one? What year is your bike with the original dipstick then?
Delivered to Dealer Dec. 2014
Hi TonyA
Here you can see pictures of the original dip stick (delivered May 2012). Measures in metric units (cm):


Now you can compare with your oil dip stick. I might get pictures of the longer one from my friend soon.
Cheers.
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
As you can see from the image , the factory dipstick is 110mm long from the bottom of the threaded cap to the end of the stick . The high and low lines are separated by 25 mm center to center (just under an 1 in.) In my case , when my bike is filled with 2.5 L of engine oil I am slightly below the bottom of the Norton dipstick. My solution for now is to install the longer screw in place of the dip stick. What I have found is that the shorter screw does not give me more than about the head of the screw oil reading , this may be enough for most who like this idea. I am going to use the longer screw , as this will give me a longer period to monitor my oil should my bike continue to consume/discharge the oil. The finished lengths are ( ~ 125 mm ) for the 140 mm screw and ( ~ 135 mm ) for the 150 mm screw . This is a 25 mm longer reach into the oil tank , I am satisfied .

Hello Raphi , The Oil dip stick you have is the one I wanted to get. You factory oil stick is over 120mm long. The one that comes with my bike in Dec 2014 is only 110mm long. You can read the thread " air box drain pipe " for all the past details. So I ordered a new oil stick a few weeks ago and it is 110mm long . Thanks for your post. If the oil in air box fix is implemented then we can run the oil level where it needs to be , and this will be behind us for good. Tony
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2015
Messages
3,368
Country flag
The midway point between my high and low oil stick marks is where your high mark is. My high mark is about at 80 mm and the low about 105mm. So it looks like the long 120mm oil stick was tried by the factory and they went back to the 110mm oil stick. What else can you gather from this , other than a change in the frame tank design which I doubt happened. I think Simon Marshall could clear this all up , that would be nice. So Raphi ,to make a long story short , I tried my own long oil dip stick with a corresponding reduction in oil level and it does not help the oil to air box discharge rate on my bike. Thanks for your post.
 
Top