NGK CR9EIX

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
So, I received a pair of NGK CR9EIX Iridium sparkplugs today.
There is not gap info on, or in the box.
Am I missing something here?

To the folks who currently use these plugs on their 961's: what gap are you using?
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2013
Messages
798
Country flag
Fred, I have had 4 of the same plugs for weeks and I have the same question. The package implies they are pre-gapped at the factory but can 1 gap be right for all applications???
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
Exactly,

I think Precisionbob and DBono indicated they are using Iridiums.
I was wondering if they could provide some insight.

The box the plugs come in has a ' self intuitive' graphic that seems to indicate 1 of two possibilities:
1. The plugs don't need to be gapped.
2. You should be careful not to wedge the gapping tool between the elctrodes when gapping the plug.

What the hell is wrong with just stating the requirement, in english, on the damn box! :lol:

Good Grief.
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2013
Messages
798
Country flag
Fred, What is this "English" you speak of. There is none on the package as is the case too many times today!
 
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
58
Country flag
"I think Precisionbob and DBono indicated they are using Iridiums.
I was wondering if they could provide some insight."

As I had mentioned in the earlier post about the Iridium plugs, I bought the bike with them installed by the dealer as part of his ignition upgrade. However, I just pulled a plug and measured the gap, and it is .025". Plug color & condition looks nice after 2500 miles. Hope that helps - Precisionbob
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
Precisionbob said:
"I think Precisionbob and DBono indicated they are using Iridiums.
I was wondering if they could provide some insight."

As I had mentioned in the earlier post about the Iridium plugs, I bought the bike with them installed by the dealer as part of his ignition upgrade. However, I just pulled a plug and measured the gap, and it is .025". Plug color & condition looks nice after 2500 miles. Hope that helps - Precisionbob
Thanks
Much appreciated.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
I have the same plugs but have SOLID COPPER CORE PLUG WIRES and using SHIM STOCK (for accuracy) I gaped mine to .026"

I did this at 400 miles and now at 5,000 miles. BTW - My dad is having NGK copper Core Wires made (RED), what a nightmare it was to source, so save yourself the time and don't bother looking for them because they don't yet exist at lease for NGK. But per chance you feel inclined and actually have better luck than we did please share. We even contacted NGK head sales office and they do not exist. Although we never tried any other brand.

2014 Norton 961 SE#112 by Richard, on Flickr
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
4,608
Country flag
richard-7 said:
I have the same plugs but have SOLID COPPER CORE PLUG WIRES and using SHIM STOCK (for accuracy) I gaped mine to .026"

I did this at 400 miles and now at 5,000 miles. BTW - My dad is having NGK copper Core Wires made (RED), what a nightmare it was to source, so save yourself the time and don't bother looking for them because they don't yet exist at lease for NGK. But per chance you feel inclined and actually have better luck than we did please share. We even contacted NGK head sales office and they do not exist. Although we never tried any other brand.
I don’t understand why you have to use NGK copper core leads –copper HT leads are commonly available from most good car motorcycle spares shops, just put any suppresser cap on to the end. :)
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
Well, the gap in the service manual is .8mm to .9mm (or .032" - .035") but when I got Map 077 someone said (I really don't want to say because I don't want to be wrong) to make the gap .026" and it will run better and I believe it made a difference. So when I went to the new plugs I just gaped the same and have had no issues. I have nothing to back it up other than it works. And NGK have ZERO data on the 961 and won't comment other than look into your owners manual.

I'll look into it further and see what I can drum up.

This could be a good topic.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
Bernhard said:
richard-7 said:
I have the same plugs but have SOLID COPPER CORE PLUG WIRES and using SHIM STOCK (for accuracy) I gaped mine to .026"

I did this at 400 miles and now at 5,000 miles. BTW - My dad is having NGK copper Core Wires made (RED), what a nightmare it was to source, so save yourself the time and don't bother looking for them because they don't yet exist at lease for NGK. But per chance you feel inclined and actually have better luck than we did please share. We even contacted NGK head sales office and they do not exist. Although we never tried any other brand.
I don’t understand why you have to use NGK copper core leads –copper HT leads are commonly available from most good car motorcycle spares shops, just put any suppresser cap on to the end. :)
It's the ends that go on the coil that are the problem to source. It's easy if you already have the wires from the bike, then just buy the copper cores. But for my dad who wants to sell "off the shelf" replacement wires, then it's sourcing these ends, cutting to length, soldering on.
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
15,693
Country flag
BritTwit said:
The box the plugs come in has a ' self intuitive' graphic that seems to indicate 1 of two possibilities:
1. The plugs don't need to be gapped.
2. You should be careful not to wedge the gapping tool between the elctrodes when gapping the plug.

What the hell is wrong with just stating the requirement, in english, on the damn box! :lol:
http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/index.php/techn ... -plug-gap/
NGK
The re-gapping of fine wire spark plugs that have very small diameter platinum or iridium alloy electrodes is not recommended due to the risk of damaging the electrodes.


http://densoiridium.com/installationguide.php
Denso
Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center.

To increase the gap size:

Step 1: Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Step 2: Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool.


To decrease the gap size:

Step 1:Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Step 2: Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
Thank you LAB.

I would just use them out of the package and not GAP until one of us can verify. However, that being said, my bike runs fantastic!! ZERO complaints!! Sounds awesome, idle's awesome, Pulls hard and even did one wheelie just to try it.
I did however, replace coil pack to the Bosch one in my manual, replace wires to NGK copper core, replace plugs to NGK iridium and gap at .65mm (.026")
 

BritTwit

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
2,359
Country flag
Just wondering since the box that the plug comes in is labeled and intended for the CR9EIX plug. What is so difficult about putting something like "no gapping required" on the box? But then, since everything is online today, probably a waste of money for NGK to add the unneeded text on the box. The additional ink would probably cost $0.01 per thousand boxes.
Yeah, that must be the reason.

End of my rant. :lol:

Thanks LAB.

Regards.
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
15,693
Country flag
BritTwit said:
Just wondering since the box that the plug comes in is labeled and intended for the CR9EIX plug. What is so difficult about putting something like "no gapping required" on the box? But then, since everything is online today, probably a waste of money for NGK to add the unneeded text on the box. The additional ink would probably cost $0.01 per thousand boxes.
Yeah, that must be the reason.
The plug gap should ultimately be specified by the engine/vehicle manufacturer, however I think the wider gaps often recommend nowadays might have more to do with meeting emission requirements than anything else?

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/techb ... _gmv61.htm
Both Magnecor and specialist performance tuners have discovered that many recent US stock vehicles are delivered to consumers with spark plug gaps set overly wide, presumably to improve exhaust emissions . Unfortunately for consumers, by nature of the design, overly wide spark plug gaps erode even quicker with everyday use, resulting in premature spark plug failure
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
If someone is up for the challenge to close the GAP and report back, this could really add to an already interesting thread. So far three of us (my dad who is not on the forum) have proven results. It would be nice to see 10 of us report the same results.

Any takers?
 

G81 Can Cycle

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
433
Country flag
richard-7 said:
If someone is up for the challenge to close the GAP and report back, this could really add to an already interesting thread. So far three of us (my dad who is not on the forum) have proven results. It would be nice to see 10 of us report the same results.

Any takers?
I am game

I guess that means I need to get the Iridium plugs, new wires, and the coil kit X 2. LOL
 
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
101
I've got the Iridium plugs and it did make a noticeable difference.

Bike is going in for 6K service tomorrow and I was going to upgrade the plug wires.

What coils are recommended?
 
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
1,757
Country flag
DBono said:
I've got the Iridium plugs and it did make a noticeable difference.

Bike is going in for 6K service tomorrow and I was going to upgrade the plug wires.

What coils are recommended?

I have a picture of the box with part numbers and how to do it in my ignition coil manual.
 

Top